Make a Checklist for Fire Prevention..
A safety checklist is a must for being prepared for a fire at home.
SERVPRO of Tracy would like to advise you to take personal responsibility and prepare long before a fire threatens your home and your family’s safety.
Sit down with your family and review this fire safety checklist:
- Install and maintain a working smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector in every bedroom, outside of every sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement, and remember to change the battery at least once a year.
- Interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home. This way, when one sounds, they all do.
- Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old or sooner if they don’t respond properly.
- Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm and understands what to do when they hear it.
- Know where your fire extinguisher is mounted, and make sure everyone in the family knows how to use it.
- Designate two escape routes from each bedroom and practice them regularly.
- Teach everyone the "Stop, Drop, and Roll" technique in case clothing catches on fire.
- Avoid storing old mattresses in the home or garage.
- Teach kids that matches, lighters, and candles are tools, not toys. If you suspect that a child is playing with fire, check under beds and in closets for telltale signs like burned matches. Matches and lighters should be stored in a secure drawer or cabinet.
Keep these quick tips in mind, and prevent a major fire damage emergency from taking place in your home.
Call SERVPRO of Tracy if you have any questions: 209-834-0200