Fire and Smoke Damage Tips
- Limit the movement in the structure to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Blow or brush-vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes and carpets.
- Place clean towels on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely, and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances with a light with a petroleum jelly or oil.
- Pour RV antifreeze into sinks, toilet bowls and tubs if heat is off during freezing season.
- Wash both sides of leaves on indoor plants.
- Change HVAC Filters.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.